Ride comfort mods? Anyone tried to tame the beast?

Thread: Ride comfort mods? Anyone tried to tame the beast?

Ride comfort mods? Anyone tried to tame the beast?

I've owned my Rune for a good 10+ years. And it's never been a very comfortable ride in my opinion. But I just got back from a 1000 mile RT ride, and OMG did that bitch beat me up. Maybe I'm just getting older, but damn that was rough.
    I'm running 36 and 40 psi with an Ultimate seat.
    So, I'm wondering in the 12 yrs since the Runes were built if there isn't something out there worth trying to soften this thing up. Has anyone tried anything? Probably not much can be done with the front suspension I'd guess, but perhaps a new design rear shock? Doesn't the Goldwing use a similar shock? Can that be used? Compare these to a GW, and it's like riding a tank.
    I'm desperate here, it's either soften it up or sell it. Who's got some ideas?

Air suspension is the way to go

Take a look on Youtube. Type in "Rear suspension mod for Honda Rune".

The ride height is adjustable so is the damping and rebound. Not sure of the cost but looks cool! You could sell your old shock as its an ex racing unit from a GP bike. Should be worth a few pounds.

UKTrev

Suspension mods

I couldn't find the YouTube piece. How about a link?

I can do better, The website for the manufacturer of the air shock is www.platinumairsuspension.com

Look in video library and there's a video clip on the rune conversion. There are 2 types but the Rune is not priced. I have E mailed the helpline for details of price etc, if I hear anything I'll let you know. This company also do an inflatable air bag to lift the saddle!

I've been considering this conversion for some time now, if the price is right I'll get it done.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Trev

Dyno Dave seems to be the man with the knowledge on the rear suspension mod. I have looked up some old posts on this site and came across these links.
    As a new member, I'm amazed at the technical information that'a available on this site. I did'ent realise the Rune was so reliant on electronics. Thanks to the contributors for some excellent reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjh-9PqwLEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrcTDlVcors

I have tried to contact the Platinum air suspension people via the web but no luck!

ride comfort

I have rec'd a reply from Platinum air suspension, Thanks Mike.

The conversion kit for the Rune is still available by request. Apparently it was never that popular, so only a few have been made.

The prices I r'cd from Mike at Platinum are: $1049 for the air kit, this is the top of the range kit, preolad and rebound adjustable, plus an additional
    $99 for the remote control key fob. Total including 5% discount = $1090.

As I live in the U.K. there is of course shipping at $106.00 which includes insurance. I thought that be of might interest the U.K. riders out there.
    O.K. there@s import taxes etc to think of, so add another 20% ish!

So thinking about it, it a pretty good deal, especially when you think what a new stock shock costs and you would end up with the same ride quality!

If anyone in the U.K. is seriously thinking about shipping in this conversion, let me know. Perhaps a better deal can be done if a bulk order is placed?

Ride mods

I would love to hear how this air shock works out. Please keep,us posted if you decide to get it done.

I installed platinum air for a friend and it seems to have been randomly problematic with switches etc...Plus I dont like how it uses poly tubing for its supply lines...Im imagining over time this tubing could rub through and cause a catastrophic failure which could be deadly...NO BUENO for me , purely its for the looks when you dump the rear end but without being able to lower the front Ive used the analogy "It looks like a dog taking a dump" when the frt is high and the rear is low...To each his own I guess....
    Chrome is Like cleavage, you can never have too much...

It aint the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog....

Cushion Assembly

Does anyone know how to check the cushion assembly to see if it's working. My rune seems to be a bit squishy on the bumps. I've turned the valve adjuster all the way to hard but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Has anyone ever replaced this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cushion Assembly.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1520

The problem is an age old problem. The spring gets worn and compressed, so do the linkages and bushes etc. The gas inside the canister is probably ok. I have tried to get a spring made to replace mine which is possible but I am searching for a dual wound progressive spring. I,ve been quoted about $200 for a one off! The original gas canister cannot be re gassed as its a sealed unit. Bugger all in the workshop manual to confirm The unsprung length of the spring and compression loading characteristics etc, so it's a guessing game.

To be honest, Honda did not install a quality unit to begin with, despite their claims it was styled off a GP racing bike.

The nearest would be a Goldwing unit to compare weight etc but the shock manufacturers will not make me a replacement unit until they have some sort of a basic spec to work to.

Still searching for a reasonable cost alternative rather than a whole unit replacement. Anyone know of any friendly spring makers?

To stop sagging, you could make some spring spacers (thick washers), from steel to pack out and restore the original ride height.

The quotes I've had are about $1400 for a full hand made system with compression and rebound or about $1200 for Platinium air shock system.
    Last edited by UKTREV; 07-19-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling mistake